Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ebony Speaks On How She Knew

Wedding Anniversary Date: March 12, 1979

How she knew her husband was the one for her:

"We knew each other's family members though we'd never met. We lived in different cities. For Christmas, 1974, I went to visit my uncles and cousins, whom he'd known all of his life and referred to my uncles and cousins as "Uncle" or "Cousin"...whomever. Now we knew each other existed but had never met, physically or otherwise. Because my cousin with whom I was staying during my visit is 16 years older... there was no one to really take me around.. so- to-speak. He walked into the house approximately 30 minutes after my arrival...as soon as our eyes met, I think we both knew...we both felt some chemistry existing between us.


He introduced me to his friends and other family members whom I did not know... and exhibited a personality that was out of this world. Even though he was, in fact, a stranger, he never felt like a stranger to me.. or I to him. Besides we knew 'family' and even our parents had occasion to meet early on. Needless to say it was a 'fun' Christmas trip. We spent a lot of time together... talking and talking... and watching football games, etc. The more we talked, the more we knew that this was it! My visit was a week long. He carried me to the airport. We both cried when I entered the airplane.


After returning home, we talked every day and often two, three, four times a day.


In less than a month, he came to my city for a visit for a weekend. Now it is 1975, and in March, he arrived via automobile that he'd driven from California to Georgia, and has never looked back... neither have we ever lived apart since the day of his arrival. We still enjoy each other's company. Our faith and trust in God has sustained us. Family and friends thought it was too 'whirlwind' and we were middle 30s and had been married previously. The ultimate choice to 'give it a shot' was ours and with God's help and intervention we've made it .... primarily, I believe, because we worked at it, and wanted it to work.


We made it official on March 12, 1979, after having lived together two years in an apartment and two years in our home that he provided and placed my name on the deed alongside his. We've been in the same house now since September 1977."


What she loves about his mind: I love everything about my husband...

What she loves about his body: His height: 6'2"; his weight: 222; his complexion: caramel-to-chocolate; and he has a smile so bright that it shines in his eyes.

What she loves about his spirit: His gentlemanly behavior. He's the closest thing to 'earthly' perfection I've ever met.


Ebony's advice to single women about marriage:

"
For sure no two relationships mirror each other. Do not bring your past relationships into a new relationship, as it relates to paralleling; however, it is always good to avoid making the same mistakes. While relationships are serious business, laughter has it's place in keeping relationships alive... laugh at each other, even laugh at yourself. Common interests, value systems, character and principles are important ingredients for a smooth relationship. Even if you do not particularly enjoy doing the same things as he, it's always a positive to relent on occasion, as it is for him.


Generally speaking, always be a lady---one whom he wouldn't be ashamed to introduce to family and friends, and exhibit honesty and integrity. Oh, and communicate, communicate, communicate!"



No comments:

Post a Comment