Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sheryl Speaks On How She Knew

Wedding Anniversary Date: May 27, 1996

How she knew her husband was the one for her:

I was a single mom to my 5-year-old daughter at the time that I first heard my (future) husband's voice on the radio. I had started living in rebellion to God as I was starting a new season in life as a divorced woman. My first marriage ended after (almost) nine years. It was a marriage filled with verbal, emotional and physical abuse. It was not God’s plan for marriage. My (ex) husband made the decision to leave me after he met a woman at work. This was his second affair. I knew he had to be the one to leave me, otherwise I truly feared for my own life. (This entire story is very long and very detailed-I am writing a book on this and more.)

Fast forward to December 1994. I had heard through the radio station that 'Jungle Doug' was going to be at a local remote. I wanted to meet him. He sounded so genuine, nice and fun to be around on the radio. At the time we were both dating other people, but we definitely connected. We became fast friends. I remember feeling so safe and good around him. He made me laugh, he accepted me for who I was. He also connected with my daughter.

As the friendship progressed, we realized we both wanted more so we ended the other relationships we had and progressed into exclusive dating. I was falling hard and fast for this man. I found myself 'crossing the line' with him emotionally, something I had never done---not even with my first husband. This man, Doug Griffin, made me feel safe, important, special, beautiful, sexy, smart, alive, and more than that, he completely accepted my daughter and me as a complete and total package.

As I mentioned, I was living in rebellion to God at the time Doug and I met and unbeknownst to me, so was Doug. The fact that is that we were both 'Christians' but not walking the walk ; but we knew that someday we wanted to get there again and that is what attracted us to one another.

Once we became engaged, we moved in together. We talked about how we would go to church after we got married- as if God had on blinders just for us. It’s a really long story (again, it's in my book) but God allowed us to almost lose what we had, to gain what have now. We had a wedding date planned with all the traditions of a wedding; God had another plan.

We married three weeks prior to our original date in the office of our counselor who had been walking with us through the struggles we were dealing with. We kept the original date as a day of celebration and an opportunity to use it as a testimony to all of our friends and family. We had originally planned a huge bridal party but in the end it was as it should have been…. God at the head...my daughter, Lauren was the ONLY bridal attendant... and Doug was standing at the altar waiting for me as I walked down the isle with my dad on my arm (which was HUGE in itself).

It will be 13 years on May 27, 2009 and I can honestly say we have not looked back one time. It's been a journey of faith for both of us. It's one day at a time. It's been a commitment first and foremost to God and then to each other. Its been about respecting each other. It's been actions speaking louder than words. It's even communicating when you don’t want to or feel like it.”


What she loves about his mind: I love that he is always thinking about our family and what is best for us. He is creative, funny, compassionate and loves me unconditionally.

What she loves about his body: I still love his voice and I also love his arms. A hug from him or even just me touching his arm does something deep inside me that I can not explain. I feel so secure and safe.

What she loves about his spirit: He leads our family by example. Everyday before he leaves for work a 4am, he prays over all three of us. Each day he spends time in prayer and studies the Word. When stress, disappointments or other kinds of situation arise his first reaction is to pray. His faith in God and God’s Word speaks volumes during these times.


Sheryl's advice to single women about marriage:

"Don’t settle! Realize there is not a perfect man in the world, but there is someone perfect for you. Don’t think you can make the 'red flags' go away; no matter how much you want to, you can’t. You can not be responsible for other people's choices or behaviors. Know, respect and love yourself. Keep your armor on and be willing to stretch and grow spiritually. Listen to the wisdom of those who have experience. Don’t do anything because you don’t want to disappoint someone...do it because you want to and you know it's right. Trust that God does have a plan and purpose for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment