Saturday, January 31, 2009

Marcella Speaks On How She Knew

Wedding Anniversary Date: July 5, 1998

How she knew her husband was the one for her:

When I knew Brian was the one...Brian moved to Nashville after attending college in Alabama and began attending my home church. We both enjoyed being a part of the hospital ministry and attending the singles intimacy classes. We also had mutual friends, so we spent lots of time together outside of church. During this time, I knew he was attracted to me and I was only interested in being his friend. Deep inside I knew that the next relationship I would be in would be my last. God had just delivered me from a disastrous relationship and I was in no rush to begin a new one.

I was impressed with Brian's commitment to God and he was easy to talk to. Over time we began talking on the phone more and more often and for longer periods of time. I continued to deny that anything was happening even though it was apparent to others(Shellie knows this all to well).

One evening, Brian and I sat on his couch watching my favorite movie, 'Like Water for Chocolate'. When the movie was over, to my surprise, Brian called me a liar and threw me out of his apartment! He told me that I liked him and lied to him by not telling him.(I told him during a previous conversation that if I ever changed my mind about being interested in him, I'd let him know.) He said that he was not going to continue to talk to me on the phone...hang out with me...or allow me to lean on him, if I could not admit the truth; therefore our relationship was over.

Being the stubborn woman that I so often am, I sat in my car outside his apartment for a long time considering whether or not I wanted to throw this opportunity away. I tried to turn on the car and drive away, but I could not do it! I knew that if I left, I would be throwing away one of the most precious relationships I'd ever have.

I went upstairs, threw his roommate out of their apartment---sorry Myon---and made the necessary confessions. Needless to say, it was one of the smartest things I've done, and one of the greatest things I've ever risked my heart, emotions, and vulnerability for!

So, for all the ladies who are like I was: controlling, stubborn, and down right SCARED to trust your heart totally and completely in someone else's care, take a risk: IT IS WORTH IT!


What she loves about his mind: Brian is one of the smartest people I know. He is wise and God has gifted him with discernment. My mom even says,"Ask Brian what he thinks about it; he has good insight.

What she loves about his body: The way my head fits perfectly under his arm when snuggling...the way his heartbeat doubles when I lay on his chest...and his hands. Thank you God for B's hands. Hallelujah!!

What she loves about his spirit: He listens to the Holy Spirit.


Marcella's advice to single women about marriage:

“Pray. DON'T RUSH. Wait on God. Listen to the Holy Spirit. Don't search for him; let him search for you. Just because he wants you, looks good, and has what you think you need, that doesn't mean God wants him for you! Finally, be the wife God has called you to be right now, while you are single. He has a plan for you---a purpose for you to fulfill. Don't get so caught up in the future and what God is going to do for you, that you miss what He is doing for you right now and what He wants you to do for Him.

I Corinthians 2: 6-10 (Message) says, “We, of course, have plenty of wisdom to pass on to you once you get your feet on firm spiritual ground, but it's not popular wisdom, the fashionable wisdom of high-priced experts that will be out-of-date in a year or so. God's wisdom is something mysterious that goes deep into the interior of his purposes. You don't find it lying around on the surface. It's not the latest message, but more like the oldest—what God determined as the way to bring out his best in us, long before we ever arrived on the scene. The experts of our day haven't a clue about what this eternal plan is. If they had, they wouldn't have killed the Master of the God-designed life on a cross. That's why we have this Scripture text:
No one's ever seen or heard anything like this,
Never so much as imagined anything quite like it—
What God has arranged for those who love him.
But you've seen and heard it because God, by his Spirit, has brought it all out into the open before you
.”
(Side note: I added the bold.)

No comments:

Post a Comment