Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jon Speaks On How He Knew

Wedding Anniversary Date: November 14, 2005

How he knew his wife was the one for him:

It was only few weeks into my freshman year at college when I was introduced to a cute and 'stylishly loud' sophomore, who is now the woman that I am married to. Although at that time, marriage was quite a long shot...especially with this particular woman. Let’s just say that the negative impressions that we perceived of each other overshadowed any positive qualities that were present upon our first meeting. Despite that day, we eventually managed to have a conversation where I realized that she wasn’t this snobby, big-headed sophomore and she learned that my southern charm was what I was raised with and didn’t necessarily mean that I wanted to jump everything in a skirt.

The knowledge of me knowing that this relationship was a special one came after our first winter break apart from each other. We had only been dating a few months. It was the first time that we had seen each other in a month. For the entire eight hours driving back to school, I was bragging to my dad about this really hip girl that I had been kickin' it with, and how he had to meet her. I never would’ve guessed that she was going to break-up with me before I could even introduce the two of them.

Over the next few months, my then ex would reach out to me in hopes of having some type of a 'buddy buddy' relationship. That definitely wasn’t what I wanted from her. I already had enough buddies. Eventually, I explained that my feelings could not be suppressed under a false relationship based on us just being friends and that I wanted more than that. Fortunately, the one and only time that we had that conversation, it seemed to strike a nerve with her. Soon after that, we began dating again and the rest is history.

Somewhere during that interim period of our relationship, I knew that even if we did not get back together, how unlikely it would be for me to meet another woman as beautiful, unique, and spiritually alive as she. And if she were to give me another shot, I had to work it.

Even including our first introduction to one another, there has never been an awkward moment of any kind. Almost as if we had known each other during another lifetime. On a level much deeper than the physical, we share a connection that has always been there from the beginning.


What he loves about her mind: I love that her thought process is everything mine is not. When I’m thinking too deep, she’s thinking just the opposite. When I’m over-thinking, she’s got it figured out with simple problem solving.

What he loves about her body: This is definitely a two-fold answer. It has to be a toss up between her skin and her eyes. Fortunately, her skin doesn’t taste as chocolate-like as it looks and feels. If so, she’d probably wake up with teeth marks on her legs every morning. I love her eyes because they portray every feeling and emotion that she has. I learn how to please her by observing the messages that they convey.

What he loves about her spirit: Her spirit is loving, open, and most importantly, honest. She has a honest truthfulness with her spirit that never has a selfish motive. She is always looking to love the next person.


Jon's advice to single men about marriage:

"Know that every moment in life counts. Spend these moments productively, making the best of every hour that you have been given. Know that you’re not successful until your life impacts others positively. Treat and address every woman with the admiration and respect that you have and want for your own mother.

1 comment:

  1. this is such an encouraging blog! so much wisdom! and not just because we share the same name! haha

    ReplyDelete