Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sandy Speaks On How She Knew

Wedding Anniversary Date: October 10, 1998

How she knew her husband was the one for her:

“Let me first just say that before I knew, my husband and I shared A LOT of history. I already had a son and was carrying his daughter when we were getting off of I-65 South, and turning left onto I-96 in Franklin (TN), when someone driving a black car sped up behind us and got too close for our comfort. See, we were riding discussing 'our future' because I was about eight weeks pregnant.

My 'then boyfriend/now husband', pulled into the gas station and the guy pulled in, too. My Boo jumped out of the car and with
much passion, he let the guy know he put his 'family' in danger. The guy was very apologetic for the whole thing.

When my Boo got back into the car, he looked me in the eye and said, 'If I scared you, I'm sorry. But it is my responsibility to protect you and our family. I will never let anyone or anything hurt you.'

In that moment, I knew. I knew he was the one...better yet I knew he was
my one.”


What she loves about his mind: He is a beautiful creator. Meaning, once he “sees” something...once he gets a vision in his mind, he does whatever it takes to birth it---and what he births is always beautiful.

What she loves about his body: It's manly. I love that it has hair on it and it's course and curly. I love that his brown skin has an amazing ability to look like sugar and chocolate at the same time. And, I love that his muscles are distinctive...some look like hills, others like ships.

What she loves about his spirit: He is compassionate...humble...adventurous. He is also very “allowing”. By that, I mean that some people need you to ac t like something you're not for them to be comfortable, but when it comes to my husband, he is confident enough in who he is to let me and anyone around him be truly who they are.


Sandy's advice to single women about marriage:

"It doesn't matter how awesome...how strong...how godly and all of the other great qualities a man has, if you have not spent time discovering who you are—-WHO YOU REALLY ARE, you are not ready for a healthy, happy, godly marriage. Take some time to get to know yourself.

I will even take it a step further: All women should make it a point to discover things just for them. For instance, I used to get my nails done, but one day I told my husband, 'I am not sure that I 'm getting them done because I want to or because that is what I believed women were supposed to do'. One day, I went just to see if it was something I liked FOR ME. It was alright, but it's nothing that I have to do regularly. The same goes for getting my hair done and a few other things.

I say this to say that when you enter into a relationship with someone, what you're essentially saying is, 'It's OK for you to need me and for me to need you'. But YOU need to know what you need for someone to be able to truly meet it. When you get married, you are going to be spending A LOT of time with your completer. It would be wise for you both to know what he is to complete. You have to know you alone before you can fairly and accurately answer that question.

Ten Years In "Her Nashville" Feature: http://hernashville.com/her/10-years-in

No comments:

Post a Comment